[Avodah] KSA, MB, AhS, Chayei Adam and other codes

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 21 13:42:46 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 05:27:02PM -0400, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
: Okay, but then this could still serve as a precedent for using the sort
: of afke'inhu under discussion as a s'nif where there are other bases
: for leniency.

How? The Rama says it's not din! The only maqor we have for the idea (of
someone we know) rejects the notion, and then provides a limud zekhus
for those rabbanim who wallpapered over a situation that wasn't going
to change no matter what they said.

In any case, I admit this weakens the case against saying RER created the
notion out of whole cloth. It still explains why other rabbanim wouldn't
even consider it a senif. Particularly RYBS, who uses the lack of use by
people much greater than us and who wouldn't miss something this obvious
-- if it were real -- to help agunos as proof that it isn't real.

To get back to RRW's reason for raising it, this still rules out the
shitah as an option to consider weighing pros and cons for.