[Avodah] [Areivim] Hanheg Bahen Minhag Derech Eretz

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 10:55:47 PDT 2008

from Doron

Maalos HaTorah (pg. 195 in the Menukad edition) - while his mind is
occupied with his business affairs, he should learn whatever his mind
can handle at the time.  >>

To me this seems the most reasonable.  What is possible for some
gedolim is not possible for
the average person or for every profession (eg surgery)

I have in general a problem with some gedolim who seem to assume that
they are typical and
everyone can do what they do. An outstanding example is Yavetz who
writes that he gets
some 4 hours of sleep which he recommends to everyone. In another
place he writes that
he doesn't understand the complaints against ashkenazi piyuttim. If
one knows all shas, medrashim
and medieval Hebrew then they are straightforward.

--
Eli Turkel