[Avodah] kinnot and churban habayit

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 13 15:18:20 PDT 2008

RET tried asking again this year:
> If one examines both Eicha and the kinnot there is in fact very little
> emphasis on the physical destruction of the bet hamikdash. The emphasis
> in Eicha and followed in the kinnot is on the destruction of the city of
> Jerusalem which is now desolate and more on the loss of life of both the
> general populace and special individuals.

The treatment of other human beings is what caused the churban. In fact,
it was spiritually necherav by our chata'im, and Edom "only" destroyed
the husk.

PERHAPS, if we were to make 9 beAv about the loss of the bayis rather
than the human cost, we would have missed the whole point.

    Shim'u devar H' qetzinei Sedom,
    haazinu Torah E-lokeinu, am Amorah.
    Lamah Li rov zivchekhem, yomar H',
    sava`ti olos eilim vecheilev meri'im...?
    ... Limdu heiteiv
    dirshu mishpat, asherus chamotz,
    shiftu yasom, rivu almanah!
		    Yeshaiah 1:10,11,17

Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,
http://www.aishdas.org   and it flies away.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter