[Avodah] value of food

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:42:08 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> The value of food is exactly what it costs.  Ascribing it a higher
> value than that is pure mysticism,>>
>
> That is the heart of our disagreement. The value of food is
> not determined but its monetary value. Bread has a higher
> beracha than steak because man has out more work into it (RYBS)
> or for whatever reason.
> --
> Eli Turkel

Re: Muktzeh again.
Bread on Shabbos might trump something of higher monetary value re: Bassis
ledavar assur - because could be needed for se'udas Shabbos. Thus the
pressing NEED for the BREAD may give it a temporary but immediate higher
value - [akin to achshevai]
Source:Zichru Toras Msohe - Kehillas YomTov

Now if a fellow Jew had a need for lechem Mishna it is ASSUR to over-charge
him to take advanatage of his situation. {recent KSA yomi]  But one might
COSIDER the mitzva need.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com