[Avodah] Tisha B'Av on Sunday

Gil Winokur gilwinokur at usa.net
Tue Aug 12 12:29:16 PDT 2008

AIUI, during that last hour of Shabbos, we do not publicly show avelus, so we wear shoes, sit on chairs, sing zmiros, etc.  But simply not eating for an hour is not such a public display.  It is prohibited to fast on Shabbos, but one is not required to eat every minute of Shabbos.  When one has been eating all Shabbos, not doing so for the last hour is not considered "fasting on Shabbos" - it's just not eating and is not considered a detraction from Shabbos.
Gil Winokur