[Avodah] consistency?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 11 14:30:09 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:51:52AM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
: Tosfot (munachot 11a S"V vrabbi shimon explains that when the gemara
: says rabbi shimon doesn't doresh et here it really just means for the
: drasha suggested by the gemara (to me implying he would use it for
: something else; tosfot is forced into this because elsewhere we see R'
: shimon does doresh etim).  Question- I find no other place in shas where
: R' Shimon has a limud from this et, how do you understand this seeming
: omission?

Since we have very few remaining derashos compared to the total occurances
of the word "es" in chumash, why is this ommission notable?

I'm a little surprised, though. Darshening "es" and other "extra" words
was one of the known ways Rashbi differed from his rebbe, R' Aqiva.
In that way he defected to R' Yishma'el's "diberah Torah belashon
benei adam" school -- kelal uperat, not ribui umi'ut with its "es"
lerabos. (Another was his use of taamei hamitzvos in pesaq; something
that links him in style to the Zohar...)

Micha Berger             "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
micha at aishdas.org        exactly the right measure of himself,  and
http://www.aishdas.org   holds a just balance between what he can
Fax: (270) 514-1507      acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham