[Avodah] The halakhos of ecology

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Wed Aug 6 22:15:03 PDT 2008

> From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
> Subject: Re: [Avodah] The halakhos of ecology

> Micha Berger wrote:
>>>From Areivim (the authors can take credit if they choose, but I'm too
>> lazy to ask):
>
>>: I can't think of anything in any Torah source that even suggests we
>>should
>>: care about the extinction of species with no known use.  Useful species,
>>: of course, are subject to bal tashchit, but they're rarely in danger,
>>: because people cultivate them or take other measures to preserve them.

>After all, why should you care?

Professor Rakover in his book Eichut HaSeviva brings the following source:
"Ki Li HaAretz"  (Vikra 25:23) the earth is not under sole ownership of
mankind, rather it is given to him to work and guard. This obviously impacts
on our rights and obligations to the beings Hashem created on this planet
where we live.

The tree you
> don't cut will produce no benefit to you.  So the Torah steps in and
> tells you not to be wasteful of a common resource, even one you
> personally will never benefit from because you'll never be this way
> again, but rather to treat it as you would your own property, which
> you manage prudently because you know it will continue to be yours.

This assumes that destroying anything is not a problem.  Sefer HaChinuch
mitzva 729 (730 in the Shevel Edition) states categorically that the intent
of the mitzva of Bal Tashchit is to teach us tp distamce ourselves from any
bad thing or destruction.... "VeLo Ye'abdu Afilu Gargeir Shel Chardal
Ba'olam"... and that they will feel sorrow and loss at any loss or
destruction that they will see. And if they can save, they will save it from
destruction, with all their might.  And that is not how the Resha'im behave,
the brethren of the Mazikim - for they enjoy the destruction of the world
and they themselves are the destroyers....

> As far as unknown benefits from species, you're ignoring the cost of
> *not* allowing them to become extinct.  After all, we're not talking
> about senseless destruction, we're talking about allowing or preventing
> useful activity, because it might have an impact on a species's
> survival.  Refraining from that activity has a real and measurable
> cost, while the supposed benefit is unknown and may not even exist.

Any act that completely destroys a species is senseless.  We are thinking
beings.  We should strive to find solutions that don't require destruction.
As noted by the Chinuch - the way of Chassidim is to prevent destruction.
There are vast areas on this planet that are still uninhabited;  In many
areas it has been found that animal reserves can be set up to provide safe
living for both animals and mankind (and income from safari and photo
options etc.).

Another source I would like to bring is from the Noda BeYehuda - shu"t Noda
BeYehuda, Mahadurat Chanina, Yoreh Deah 10 (I saw this in the book Eichut
HaSeviva BimKorot HaYahadut which was produced by the staff of Bar Ilan
University Shu"t project:

In this source, Rav Landa is asked about hunting by a person who owns lots
of land, villages and forests and whether he can hunt animals with a rifle
himself or whether it is forbidden for reasons of Tz'ar Ba'alei Chaim or Bal
Tashchit.

Rav Landa states that as the fur/skin of the animal can be used it is
neither and allows it. But he doesn't end the Teshuva there and continues to
talk against hunting except for express need saying: "...Aval Mi She'ein Zeh
LeTzorech Parnassato VeEin Ikar Kavanato Kelal Bishvil Parnassato, Hu
Achzariyut."

So destruction for the joy of destruction is definitely counter Ru'ach
HaTorah, and the vast majority of other kinds of destruction are the result
of uncaring and laziness, b/c it is usually (I'll not say always, though I
am tempted to do so) possible to find a way to obtain the same result
without destroying fauna or flora - if one makes the effort to think and
seek other answers.  Apparently, the Torah view is indeed to seek out these
other ways.

Shoshana L. Boublil
Permaculture Consultant