[Avodah] Hating a Meisis to Kefirah [Areivim]

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 21:12:36 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Doron Beckerman <beck072 at gmail.com> wrote:

> R' Micha Berger asks for a source that Meisis to Kefirah is worse than
> Meisis to Avodah Zarah.
>
> That Kefirah is worse than AZ is in the Rambam's Iggeres Hashmad and in the
> Ibn Ezra to Parshas Yisro. That it is so regarding hating a Meisis, I have
> some indirect sources based on the above, but it is Mefurash Yotzei Mipi
> Kohen Gadol in Chofetz Chaim Hilchos Rechilus Klal 1 in Beer Mayim Chaim 9
> that Moshe Rabbeinu hated Dasan and Aviram based on hating a Meisis - Al
> Achas Kamah V'Kamah based on Ki Bikesh L'hadichachah. He is very explicit
> that the Mitzvah D'Oraysa is not limited to AZ per se.
>
> R' Micha Berger asks:
>
> >>  Applicability? Who preaches that there is more than one god, but one
> of them went to Moshe in the midbar, taught him kol haTorah kulah,
> including TSBP, etc... and you must keep the deRabbanans, etc...
> Everyone who incites to AZ also incites to other forms of heresy. <<
>
>  I could think of forms of AZ B'shittuf, plus Stam inciting someone to give
> in to his Taava in the times of Bayis Rishon.
>
> Applicability L'maaseh - Daat Emet.

FWIW We had this debate on avodah re: which is worse kefirah or AZ.

I'm not sure re:  ancient pagan cults, but wrt to the modern religions
[Xtianity, Islam] it seems obviosu to me that for a homo religioso [RYBS's
term] some kind of structured relgiion is superior to atheism any day.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com