[Avodah] Differences between Charedism and Modern Orthodoxy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 3 16:34:31 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 03:44:56PM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
: So we have one mention in the gemara in an unrelated context, some
: mentions that sound similar to chatan domeh lmelech, and a statement
: that the religious leaders "are able"  which may mean may step into a
: vacuum.  My question was given the torah's preference for a separation
: of powers, why wouldn't the preferred model be to continue that if
: possible.

Let's assume there is no navi to annoint a melekh. Therefore, there i no
way to restore the separations of powers right now. RDC says, and RYBS
seems to imply the same, that in such a situation, the authority falls to
raabbanim.

Yes, implied wuld be that when there's a king, the domain for listening
to daas Torah would be more limited. But that's not the scenario RDC is
trying to describe.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507