[Avodah] Misayei'a L'Dvar Aveira - cashier situation

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jul 31 08:13:44 PDT 2008

Gershon Seif wrote:
> If a Jew works as a cashier for a supermarket and another Jew asks them
> to ring up some bacon, saying it's for breakfast, what's the halocho?

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  The customer took the product
from the shelf himself.  The cashier is not giving it to him, all he's
doing is making him pay for it.  I'm not sure how that's mesayea` to
the eventual act of eating it.  It's not true that the customer couldn't
eat it without paying; just as he's capable of eating treif he's also
capable of stealing.  That he doesn't want to steal is to his credit,
and by charging him the cashier helps him avoid the avera of stealing;
what's wrong with that?

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.