[Avodah] Differences between Charedism and Modern Orthodoxy

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Fri Jul 25 10:03:31 PDT 2008

For some reason I can't cut and paste your post but I have to disagree
that believing that chazal were fallible is tantamount to heresy.

Also I believe the flavor of Chana's post was diminidshed by at least 2
statements that concerned me:

"Most of those within the Modern Orthodox world would approve of any
method being utilized, any method which would seem to bring us closer to
God, whether it be historical analysis, psychological readings or any
sort of outside tool which will aid us in our understanding of Tanakh
and the Torah"   - where did  this demographic information from and
didn't chazal use these types of analysis/ IIUC R'YBS was saying that
they must be used within the self contained system of halacha, not that
they can't be of value.

" One has the right to speak only when he realizes whom he is speaking
to, and whom he is speaking of, and this is something that alas very few
within the Modern Orthodox world understand- because it is not something
they have been taught. "  again a sweeping generalization based on what?

KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.