[Avodah] Likut Atzomos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 14 13:05:14 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:10:57PM +0300, Akiva Blum wrote:
: I was hoping for some sort of Jewish source. I see that it was done,
: but could it have been a Saducee thing (or Roman, Greek, etc.)? Did the
: everyone do it? Was it continued after the churnan?

In Bet She'arim a number of tannaim's remains (and their families' were
found. R' Yehoshua ben Levi's wife and daughter to give a well-known
example. See <http://onthemainline.googlepages.com/RabbisEpigraphical.pdf>

Also, in writing, see Mo'ed Qatan 1:5, and Semachos 12:7-9. R' Meir in MQ
is far more positive about reburial than R' Aqiva (Semachos) or R' Yosi
(MQ) were, as R' Meir allows the children themselves to do so because
"mipenei shehi simchah lo".

According to R' Meir it would seem to be laudible, but both permit
lechatchilah, as long as the children get a shaliach.

Micha Berger             Mussar is like oil put in water,
micha at aishdas.org        eventually it will rise to the top.
http://www.aishdas.org                    - Rabbi Israel Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507