[Avodah] ra-ah - da-ah (from areivim)

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jul 14 09:33:48 PDT 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> There is a long history of sloganeering by pulling from a maamar chazal
> or pasuq. Most famously perhaps is the CS's "chadash assur min haTorah".
> If it's good enough for the Chasam Sofer, how can I call it problematic?

It's well-understood that the authority for that statement is that of
the Chasam Sofer, not the Torah.  What I objected to was such a pshetel
being cited *as the view of the medrash*.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.