[Avodah] Beware: Glatt May Not Always Mean Kosher

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 10 07:35:17 PDT 2008

I CC-ed RAZZ and RSM.

On Thu, July 10, 2008 9:43 am, RYLevine cut-n-pasted from RAZZ:
: 3. The lungs of fowl can have defects that render it treifa, but not
: the same kind of adhesions that occur in animals. There are those who
: feel that nowadays fowl lung problems are also becoming more
: prevalent and thus require a visual and tactile inspection of fowl
: lungs (Rav Moshe Sternbuch, Tshuvot v Hanhagot 2:369).

As RZS wrote, but changing the terminology to that I encountered in
shu"t (and I only intended to use but "fowled up"), there is no such
thing as non-glatt chicken (or tom turkeys) because fowl can't get
nirin, only sirchos. Thus, no machloqes SA vs the Rama, everyone
requires fully chalaq.

Terminology digression: "Glatt chicken" really is as Yinglish as
"glatt kosher milchigs" (unless the latter means the cows were killed
after milking and checked for sirchos). Mehadran is a less abused, but
still not quite right for its usage. There are sorts of hidurim other
than being chosheish for more chumros. The textbook case, neir
Chanukah, has nothing to do with being yotzei according to more
shitos.

I do not know if RMS was specifically including Newcastle Disease or
not. If it did, then RAZZ implies that there is a currently brewing
machloqes, and it is premature to worry about "glatt non-kosher".
Rather, it's a matter of relying on the meiqilim without realizing one
is. Just like one does for many other open machloqesin that we didn't
know existed.

If Newcastle Disease is in addition to RMS's worries, then the
question of whether others should be signing on to this innovation is
both new and real, and worrisome until it's resolved.

Which is a question for RSM, and not for us to run around about like
chickens without our heads.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."