[Avodah] Are any women in Tanach described as loving their husbands?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 14:55:22 PDT 2008

From: "M Cohen" _mcohen at touchlogic.com_ (mailto:mcohen at touchlogic.com)

>>I  get the impression from the general tone of the  gemoras
(kesuvos/yevamos/sotah/etc) that
the nature of the husband/wife  relationship (in those days) was more
'business-like'...

...I  don't see a tone of the modern vision of marriage of
..love forever no matter  what / until death do us part /etc

Mordechai  Cohen

Marriage has always had, and still has, a definite aspect of being a
business contract, where two people agree to exchange goods and services in ways
that benefit each of them.  However love also has always been part of  marriage.
There's the famous story (I'm pretty sure in the  Talmud) of the couple who
decided to divorce because they had been married  for ten years without
children, and the husband told the wife to take anything  she wanted from his home
and take it back to her father's home.  She  got her husband drunk and had her
servants carry /him/ to her father's  home.  After that the rabbis ruled that t
hey did not have to get  divorced. A very poignant story.  Also very
reassuring to people who  suffer from infertility (as I did for eleven years) and do
not want to get  divorced.  The reason that the couple did not have to get
divorced IIUC was precisely that they loved each other, which made  their marriage
a positive good in G-d's eyes even without children.

--Toby Katz

President Reagan talked with the Soviets while pushing ahead  with the
deployment of Cruise and Pershing missiles in Europe. He spoke softly —  after
getting himself a bigger stick.  --Mark Steyn