[Avodah] Free Will vs. Physics

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Fri Sep 26 05:35:10 PDT 2008

R' Micha Berger asked:
> The first problem is just defining Free Will. What is
> something that is neither deterministic, reducing people
> to robots, and not random like a set of dice? We're
> claiming some middle ground. RMKoppel proves that there
> are things that are neither describable in algorithms
> nor random, but what kind of such "middle ground" do we
> mean in this case? Can we narrow it down enough to know
> what it is we're trying to prove?

I think your problem (like in so many other physics questions) lies in your choice of the frame of reference. You're only looking at the physical world.

My approach to this problem is to consider the metaphysical world -- in which the neshama resides -- as part of this equation. The neshama makes a decision, and interfaces with the physical world via the brain. If one looks only at the physical world, the brain activity *appears* to be random. (Random activity on a quantum level does not go against deterministic physics.) But in the larger picture, its not really random, because it was the causal result of a decision made in another part of the system.

My problem is not with the determinism of brain neurons, but with the determinism of the neshama's decision-making process.

Consider this: A one-minute-old infant was not crying, and now starts to cry. This is not the result of any decision he made, but is a reflexive/instinctive reaction to certain influences. Now consider a 30-year-old, deciding to get out of bed. This is a very conscious choice, based on many varied factors. Somewhere between these two events lies the very first time he exercised his free will.

Let's examine this very first event: Up to this point, everything he did was either reflex or instinct, or was perhaps resulting from learning that certain behaviors caused specific reactions from the parents. In any case, it was all automatic. But now he has matured, and two parts of his free will are at odds with each other, one telling him to choose this, and the other telling him to choose that.

How did this develop? Doesn't he realize that this choice will cause this to happen, and that choice will cause something else to happen? Yesterday the choice was automatic, but today he is actually thinking about it, pondering which to choose. Where did this ability come from? Why isn't it automatic anymore?

I'd like to suggest that what we see here is the Tzelem Elokim at work. There is nothing in the physical world which can explain how a person has the free will to make these choices. But there is a real miracle at work here: Hashem has given us the ability to rise above the deterministic physical world and actually choose what we want. Is there anything more miraculous that this? Is there any greater gift He can give, or any greater good that He can do?

My understanding of quantum mechanics is that all subatomic events follow probability, not determinism. Thus, although it is incredibly unlikely for the water molecules of the Yam Suf to part from each other, it is not totally impossible. Thus, if it happens once or twice each eternity, the laws of physics have not been broken. Thus, it is arguably NOT a miracle.

If so, are there miracles left to be enthralled by? Yes - the miracle of Free Will.

Akiva Miller
who reminds everyone: Half a brain is a very dangerous thing!