[Avodah] Hamemuneh Al Parnasah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 26 10:39:54 PDT 2008

Someone on scjm recently pointed me to this from Jose Faur's bitter
anti-Qabbalah polemic titled "Anti-Maimonidean Demons"
<http://faur.derushah.com/downloads/essays/Anti-Maimonidean%20Demons.pdf>
In fn 92, he writes:
> .... A most solemn prayer pronounced at the end of the Sephardic services
> (but not of the Spanish and Portuguese!) the night of Rosh ha-Shanah
> invokes the "great and holy name dicarnosa" (wulma'an ha-shem ha-gadol
> ve-haqadosh diaqarnosa) that is supposed to be encoded in the subtexts of
> two Scriptural passages. This superlative magical name is nothing more
> than the Spanish "dea carnosa" or "fleshy" -- probably in the sense of
> "portly" -- "goddess." Let us not for- get that, until recently, only
> plump ladies were regarded as sexually attractive....

The writer pointed out that "deo cornosa" could be "god incarnate", ie
Yeishu!

Also, the last of the 4 names scanned by the eyes when saying the tefillah
for a chalom, "diunsym" looks suspiciously similar to Dyonysum, the
accusative declanation (the word when used as a direct object) of the
name of the Roman god Dionysus (the name when used as a subject).

My instinct is to assume that this is Dor Enosh's legacy. The Chaldean
messenger bull-god was Kerub, presumably the elevation of keruvim to be
powers in themselves. SImilarly, why couldn't the Romans take an aspect
of Deity and make it a thing in and of itself?

Anyone have more informed ideas?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
micha at aishdas.org        he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
Fax: (270) 514-1507      a spirit of purity.      - Rabbi Israel Salanter