[Avodah] Davening To Angels

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Sep 24 18:43:23 PDT 2008

I think the practice of davening to angels is wrong but it may be
looked upon as treating the angels as intermediaries or intercessors
rather than a substitute for God. To call it avodah zara is rather
harsh. The other problem with davening to angels is that we approach
God directly and do not use intermediaries. That's why we confess
directly and not through the kohen or any other substitute or
surrogate. On the other hand, I'm sure we've all seen children pray to
their dead parents to put in a good word for them. Frankly, I'd think
an angel would have more influence.
Shana tova umetuka.
ri