[Avodah] question of standing for Asseret HaDibrot.

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Sep 21 15:27:25 PDT 2008

The reason I always thought that you wouldn't stand for the Asseret is
because the whole Torah is equal.
However, there are those who always stand for the entire Torah
reading. In that case, there is no question.
It reminds me of the Shema. Halachically, if you are already standing
then you are not supposed to sit for the Shema,
and conversely, if you are already sitting, you are not supposed to
stand -- having to do with kavannah, etc.

One of the reasons, I believe, the asseret was taken out of many
siddurim is for similar reasons.

ri