[Avodah] bat mitzva "bo bayom"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 17 10:24:59 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 08:01:19AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: In a significant percentage of cases the sa`arot come before the shanim,
: in which case the ba[rt]-mitzvah day really is the day they become chayavim
: mid'oraita.

An ever increasing percentage, if the warning in the media is true.

However, we discussed this already recently WRT geir qatan and the time
for QOM (or whatever it is he is doing). DeOraisa, all you need is 2
sa'aros. We require waiting for the child's age in order to be sure
they're really pubic, and not a mole or some other random hair. (And for
deRabbanan we wait for the age instead of bothering to check
altogether.) IOW, it's not when they are chayavos deOraisa, it's when we
know they're chayavos. E.g. WRT zimun (assuming you're not a Sepharadi
who will count for zimun any child who can understand what benching is;
Rambam, Rif).

The halakhah deOraisa has no significance to a particular age, and is
entirely about the individual's rates of development.

Micha Berger             A sick person never rejects a healing procedure
micha at aishdas.org        as "unbefitting." Why, then, do we care what
http://www.aishdas.org   other people think when dealing with spiritual
Fax: (270) 514-1507      matters?              - Rav Yisrael Salanter