[Avodah] More Philosophy, If Anyone's Up to It

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 11:07:10 PDT 2008

From: "Ira Tick" _itick1986 at gmail.com_ (mailto:itick1986 at gmail.com)

RIT:  >>As far as Christian nations and Kabbalah, one must  keep in mind that
Kabbalah as we know it today began in the Arab countries as  a backlash
against philosophy after the Expulsion from  Spain<<

TK:   Must one keep that in mind?  I don't think the  Orthodox consensus is
that kabbalah  only started after  the Spanish Expulsion 500 years ago.

RIT:  >>... Interestingly, much of
kabbalah shares  elements with the Greek philosophic tradition (think
Neo-platonism,  Pantheism, etc) and at the same time Oriental
mysticism.  ... (BTW, we  know that much of the discussion of mysticism in
the Talmud
comes from  Persian and Zoroastrian mythology; Lilith for example, who
has a large role  in Kabbalah, comes from ancient Persian demonology).<<

TK:  Before you said that kabbalah "as we know it today" is  relatively
modern and started only 500 years ago.  Now you are talking  about mysticism in the
Talmud, which you evidently consider to be something  other than "kabbalah"
or at least different from "kabbalah as we know it  today."

I would like to say that I shy away from Kabbalah, partly because I have  a
somewhat Hirschian view of it, which I will try to articulate although it is
not easy.  That view is a rationalistic view, a view that places more  emphasis
on things that can be discovered with the mind or through scientific,
empirical knowledge.  It is not that I don't believe Kabbalah is true, but  that I
don't believe it is for us.  It's something to be studied and delved  into only
by rare individuals who are already middle-aged and already major  talmidei
chachamim, and for everyone else, it can easily deteriorate into a kind  of
game-playing.

Some people use what has been called "practical kabbalah" in order to get
what they want from the universe -- what my father used to call "pushing
buttons."  Eat garlic and almonds, wear a magnet, recite these verses,  presto you
will have a son.  There's also a higher level of practical  kabbalah in which
what you want and what you are trying to get is something very  idealistic and
selfless, like world peace and the coming of Moshiach.  The  buttons you push
might even be mitzvos, like lighting candles in order to bring  peace into the
Higher Spheres or baking challa with forty other women in order  to bring a
baby or a refuah sheleimah to another person in need.  It's  still "pushing
buttons."

Other people play a completely different kind of game with kabbalah, and
that is an academic, intellectual game.  These are the kind of people who  don't
actually study kabbalah but rather read /about/ kabbalah, like people who
really get into Gershom Scholem (full disclosure:  I have read Scholem  myself,
out of intellectual curiosity).  The game here is to show off  academic,
intellectual prowess.  The problem with it is that it tends to  give its
practitioners an unwarranted sense of their own superiority to the  actual texts of
kabbalah and to the gedolim of the past who were  mekubalim.  The books written by
secular professors in which they identify  the ancient Egyptian and Persian
sources of Talmudic mysticism and the medieval  Arab sources of Eastern European
kabbalah are books that au fond reject the  truth of kabbalah at all, but
worse, reject the truth of /everything/ in the  Talmud and in our sacred
literature.

These academics tend to reject, not just a given body of mystical  knowledge,
but the very concept of Torah miSinai.  When you get into  academics you are
playing with fire, because the condescending superiority of  these professors
is simply not conducive to yiras Shamayim, but to the opposite  -- to a view
of Chazal as somewhat mentally childish, prone to superstition and  unaware of
the actual sources of their own beliefs.

Now, there /is/ room to read and study what academics say about Kabbalah,  on
a need-to-know basis, for da mah lehashiv and for chinuch.  But a person  who
is not himself a talmid chacham should really read this stuff very, very
warily if at all.  I knew myself when I was reading Scholem, for example,  that I
lacked both knowledge of Torah and knowledge of Kabbalah, and I also  knew
that he himself was not frum, and I therefore read him skeptically, to  satisfy
curiosity but not to assume that I now know kabbalah or that I now  know "the
truth" about the historical development of Kabbalah.

As I said before, I tend to shy away from Kabbalah altogether and I  think
that is the best course for the vast majority of Orthodox Jews.  It's  enough
for me to know in a very general way that our actions here below  influence the
cosmos.  I don't need and am not interested in any more  detail than that.

--Toby  Katz