[Avodah] Rape of a Woman

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Sep 10 05:03:47 PDT 2008

If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not betrothed, and lays
hold of her, and lies with her, and they are found. Then the man who
lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver,
and she shall be his wife; because he has humbled her, he may not put
her away all his days. (Deut. 22:28-29)

This is even more troublesome to me than the y'fas to'ar.  First of
all it makes rape a civil matter. Secondly, it says "if they are
found" -- the implication being, if they are not discovered, then the
rapist goes scott free. The poor woman being raped has no say in the
matter.  How are we to understand this or come to terms with it?  I am
at a loss.

Kol tuv.

ri