[Avodah] Y'fas To'ar

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 03:07:51 PDT 2008

On a related topic, Yosef is called Yosef Hatzaddik becauase he
resisted the temptations of Potiphar's wife. It always bothered me why
he is called a tzaddik for that for a number of reasons:
1. Basically he didn't violate the issur of arayos, does that make you
a tzadik? If a man resists adultery he is a tzaddik?
2. What is so special about this? there are numerous Jews who have
been tempted by married women and have not given in, why aren' they
all called tzadikim? Many people who work have faced this challenge in
some way or form and passed it.

We see that people can withstand these types of temptations (including
yefas toar type situations) and therefore I agree that the pat answer
is too pat.