[Avodah] "Hashem" as God's name

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 23:12:12 PDT 2008

From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
>>And before the  war, his Yiddish speaking father would have said "de
Aibishter" (the Most  High).<<

I think, although I am not certain, that he would  have said "der Aibishter."
 We Americans, those of us who retain a  smattering of Yiddish, have mostly
forgotten that in Yiddish the definite  article must be masculine or feminine
to match the gender of the noun.  In  English most nouns have no gender, so we
are not even conscious of such a  thing (except for some old-fashioned
constructions, like using the  pronoun "she" for ships and countries).   Even knowing
that there is  such a rule in Yiddish, with most words I have no idea whether
I should be using  "der" or "dos."  I think "di" is plural but I'm not even
sure about  that.  I never speak Yiddish out loud because I am painfully aware
that I  can't string together six words in Yiddish without making six mistakes
in  grammar and pronunciation.  I love to hear the language spoken but as
time  goes by, more and more native Yiddish speakers are leaving us, and more and
more  oldsters speak plain American English.  I mourn the passing of the
language  of my grandparents, the language of warmth and comfort, chicken soup and
kugel  and faith and shelter in a storm and light in the darkness.

--Toby  Katz

deal here.