[Avodah] kingly G-d

Ira Tick itick1986 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:58:27 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:36:32PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
> : Thus there is no pasuk in the Torah where G-d himself describes
> : himself as king. Only 3 verses of praise by men that use this
> : description
>
> Ein melekh belo am.
>
> The key to declaring Him "Melekh" is that it means He rules with
> the will of the people. Otherwise, the term would be "Mosheil". See
> <http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2005/09/coronating-g-d.shtml> for my take
> of the Gra's more lengthy discussion of this point.
>
> But it would make sense then that it's people who declare Him "Melekh"
>
> Tir'u baTov!
> -Micha

As I understood it, a Mosheil is a sort of pragmatic dictatorship, and
Melech connotes rulership that is deserved, that is reflective of *worth*,
not just popular reverence.  In fact, in Jewish Law, a melech is not a
melech if his powers are subject at all to popular will.  Is this just a
form of grandfathered supremacy, like the Consuls of Rome?  Or do we mean
that a melech need not gain permission from the people, but they need
permission from Him!  I never understood Divine Authority to be a social
contract, though I understand that many of the sources can be understood
that way...Just as many can be understood to establish G-d as the Boss, and
not because He's bigger than you or me.  Note that I included the
description of G-d as HaKadosh, as well as Melech.  Now please don't tell me
that Kadosh is just some bland description of G-d's "otherness."  Everybody
knows deep down inside that Kadosh and kedusha are value judgments, not
abstract philosophical measures of non-value qualities.

As for the dictum "Ein Melech B'lo Am"  I think that refers to the fact that
G-d goes unappreciated without people to revere Him, and that all His power
and authority are unfulfilled  without creation to take part in it.