[Avodah] Proto-Semitic?

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Sep 2 06:04:07 PDT 2008

R' Ira Tick wrote:
> Any desire to uphold a literal understanding of the Flood
> and the Dispersion, must answer how it is that Hebrew as
> spoken in even in ancient times seems descended from other
> languages and bears resemblance to languages spoken in
> those parts of the world ...

I have no problem with this, especially since you were careful to use the word "seems", which suggests that you're willing to reconsider your position if new evidence appears.

> those parts of the world with the oldest human remains -
> in Africa, not the Levant.

This is a separate point, and I suggest everyone keep their mind open to the possibility that not all the evidence is yet in. Wikipedia's article "List of human evolution fossils", for example, does not show any discoveries prior to 1848. Who knows what will be found in the next hundred or two hundred years?

Akiva Miller