[Avodah] rov and karov

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:16:10 PDT 2008

See my earlier comments on halachik reality - it does not seem to be an
attempt to take in all possible information to create a "most likely"
result (e.g. topographical differences in distance etc.) but "rough
justice" (e.g. why not require dna sampling to determine source of meat)>>

we dont requite DNA sampling because we dont need more accuracy than
Moshe Rabbenu did.

BTW there is a discussion of how accurately square our tefillin need to be.
RMF allows an error based on the approximation of the diagonal of a square
squareroot(2) =  1.4.
Others seem to require we use the best know instruments of the day

Having a Brisker background I am looking for something more than
"most likely". For example it is clear that having a safek sefeka
does not necessarily give you better odds than a single safek.
It depends on the individual probabilities. There have been attempts
(see Prof. Koppel) to show that 2 safeks is intrinsically different than
one safek and not because it is more likely

--
Eli Turkel