[Avodah] Birkas haChama

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Aug 27 13:12:05 PDT 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> In the case of birkhas hachamah, it's not just a matter of calculation,
> it's a matter of whether the mitzvah would be done once in 28 years
> or using R' Ada's year of 365d 5h 997c 48r and only doing it once in
> 2,068,417 years -- ie not at all. Even rounding to the nearest cheileq
> we would only be making it once in 907,201 years -- still effectively
> not at all.

So why not do it every year at the March Equinox, when the sun returns
to its initial position?  There's nothing objective to distinguish
next year's March Equinox from any other year's.

Or if once a year is too frequent, why not do it whenever the March
Equinox falls on a Wednesday?  The days of the week may not correspond
to anything that we can observe with our eyes or instruments, but at
least we believe that they are objectively real in ruchniyut.  The
Julian calendar was only ever a human invention.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.