[Avodah] rov and karov

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 11:03:30 PDT 2008

I have seen other halachos which seem to use similar reasoning. For
example, chanuka lights and sukka sechach must both be no higher than
20 amos, and for the exact same reason: to insure that they areseen by
people on the ground. But it seems ludicrous (to me) that height alone
would be the only factor - surely the horizontal distance is also very
important! If one is some distance away (where the street is wide or
sukkah is wide) the angle from the eye to the mitzvah will be shallow,
and one can see the mitzvah even if very high. >>

Another area that has always bothered me is rov versus karov.
In real life it obviously makes a difference if we have something
an inch further away but 10 times the population or something
miles closer but a slightly smaller population.
However the discussion of rov and karov doesn't account for
how big the rov or karov is

--
Eli Turkel