[Avodah] eved kenani

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 09:54:12 PDT 2008

<<If one captures a slave, is he not automatically given the status of a
woman vis-a-vis Mitzvah obligation? This is what I aways assumed when
learning those sugyos in the Gemarah dealing with Avodim.

I can't imagine first asking a slave if he will be Mekabel the Ol Mitzvos
 just before we capture him. I thought capturing him made him
automatically obligated -  whether he or she likes it or not.>>

We all know the various questions that arise with a person who is half an
eved kenani and half a Jew because one of two owners freed the slave.
I recently saw a question concerning someone who is half Jewish and half
non-Jewish. How is that possible?
The case is again an eved kenani with 2 owners. However, now the eved kenani
refuses to keep mitzvot. Thus he has a din of a nonJew not an eved kenani.
When one owner frees him he is half Jewish and half nonJewish.

--
Eli Turkel