[Avodah] bracha on megilla

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Aug 26 05:13:50 PDT 2008

R' Eli Turkel wrote:
> I don't think we ever say a beracha on a minhag that
> is not mentioned in the gemara.

Some posters have responded to this by distinguishing between (A) making a Birkas Hamitzvah on something which the gemara does not label as being a mitzvah, such as Hallel on Rosh Chodesh, and (B) a minhag of saying a bracha which is not mentioned in the gemara, such as Yiru Eineinu in maariv.

I don't see much of a difference. Either way, it is a bracha which we are not authorized by the gemara to say, and so I want to know why it is not a bracha levatala.

I've heard it said that since we've accepted the minhag of saying Hallel on RC, and that minhag is binding, and therefore the bracha "Vitzivanu" is not untrue; Hashem *does* require us to say Hallel on RC (although this requirement is in Hilchos Nedarim rather than Hilchos RC).

However, that argument only shows the bracha to be true. But just because the words of a bracha are true is not enough to remove it from being levatala. If I would write a new bracha thanking Hashem for something or other, it would be true, but it would still be levatala by reason of not having been ordained by Chazal, no? So how are these other brachos *not* levatala?

Akiva Miller