[Avodah] Geirut - Rav Uziel's and the Achiezer's positions

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 21 11:40:11 PDT 2008

Often those who want to be extremely lenient regarding the requirement for
qabalat 'ol mitzvot (QOM/KOM) argue that they follow the position of Rav
Benzion Hai 'Uziel and the A'hi'ezer.

Interestingly enough, I attended a small conference with prominent Dati Leumi
rabbinic leaders this summer, and one dayan quoted both Rav 'Uziel and
Rav 'Hayim 'Ozer Grodzinsky to stress that we need a practical, actualized
QOM. According to that dayan, who showed me a quote of Rav 'Uziel to support
his reading, Rav 'Uziel can at most be leaned upon to be happy with partial
observance, for instance, kashrut, Shabbat and taharat hamishpa'hah.

(I already posted in the past - IIRC - that the A'hi'ezer isn't of one mind in
this matter. In fact, since he bases himself on devarim shebelev einan
devarim, it follows that such devarim shebelev that are supported by ample
evidence of the ma'asseh category should disqualify the verbal QOM of someone
who obviously has no intention to adhere to his commitment)

I thought it was remarkable to quote Rav 'Uziel le'humra, to compel at least
minimal standards.

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger