[Avodah] V'achata v'savata uveirachta

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Aug 17 04:15:11 PDT 2008

The following appears in Chapter one (26) of the gemara, Taanis. What
struck me a very interesting is the fact that we have always been told
to wait about an hour after
eating before exercising.

R. Yehudah said in the name of R. Hyya: One who travels on the road
should not eat much--no more, in fact, than is eaten in a year of
famine. Why so? Here in Babylon they say: "In order that the stomach
be not filled and thus make walking difficult"; but in Palestine they
say: "In order that the supply of food which is carried along be not
too quickly exhausted." The difference in the two opinions is
therefore concerning a man on board of a ship. There is fear of the
supply of food being exhausted, but not that walking will be hindered.
On the other hand, the difference of opinion also concerns a man
travelling from village to village. There is no fear of the supply of
food becoming exhausted, but there is fear of overloading the stomach
and thus impeding further progress.

There is a difference of opinion, however, it is the answer given in
Babylon which fascinated me.

ri