[Avodah] Eikev "Let All Who Are Hungry, Come and eat"

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Aug 16 17:47:35 PDT 2008

"And you will eat, and you will be satisfied, and you shall bless the
Lord your God..."
(Devarim 8:10).

What is interesting is that the Torah is commanding us to "eat," "be
satisfied," and then "bless the Lord."  Why would we have to be
commanded to "eat" and "be satisfied" (unless we had anorexia); even
animals do that without having to be told. In fact, we usually have to
be told not to eat so much.  The answer lies in "...and you shall
bless the Lord your God."  In other words, blessing God is not a
natural thing to do.  How many people we have known who eat just like
animals and then leave the table unaware of God's beneficence.  The
Torah is telling us that by "blessing the Lord your God," eating
becomes a praiseworthy and holy act.  And the Torah is telling us to
"be satisfied," which doesn't mean to gorge and stuff ourselves. In
satisfying our hunger, one eats to live but shouldn't live to eat, and
is always mindful of one's Creator by "blessing God" after the meal.

In his work on Torah-derived table manners,  R' Bachya ben Asher
writes:   When one finishes eating he should remain at the table for
some time, as Chazal said (Berachot 54b), "If one extends his meal,
his life will be extended."  Why?  Because the longer a person sits at
the table, the greater the likelihood that a poor person will chance
by and will be fed. This is somewhat reminiscent of the Pesach Seder
where we say "Let all who are hungry, come and eat..."  Somewhat like
feeding the poor in our country on Thanksgiving and xmas.  But the
Talmud is saying this should take place every day, at every meal.

In this vein, we find a verse (Yechezkel 41:22) where the words
"altar" and "table" are used interchangeably, and Chazal explain that
just as one's sins are atoned for upon the altar, so they are forgiven
when one feeds the poor at his table. (So great is this mitzvah,
writes R' Bachya, that some people have their coffins built from the
wood of their table so that the boards can "testify" on their behalf
before the Heavenly court).

rw