[Avodah] Va'eschanan "It Takes TWO to Tango"

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Aug 11 05:20:54 PDT 2008

The two sets of luchos contain the same laws, with a slight change of
wording. The first tablet of each set contains the laws of
bein odom l'Makom, which are represented by the verse, "V'ahavta es
HaShem Elokecha,,,"
(D'vorim 6:5).

The second tablet contains the laws of bein odom l'chaveiro, which are
represented by the verse,
"V'ahavta l'rayecha komocho; Ani HaShem." (Vayikra 19:18).
Both phrases have the identical gematria: 907 (Mishnas Tzadikkim).

Thus the laws of how we should act towards other people carry an equal
worth
as the laws of how we should act towards God. The Torah reminds us
that both are
essential, by pointing out that the word for tablets, Luchos, is
written incomplete in the Torah.
This informs us that neither tablet is whole on its own, and that a
person must follow both sets of laws.
This is also reminiscent of the half shekel which teaches that we are
never complete by ourself.

ri