[Avodah] 10 shevatim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 7 06:30:44 PDT 2008

Why does everyone speak of the 10 lost shevatim?

Didn't Malkhus Yehudah include 3 shevatim -- Yehudah, Binyamin and
Shim'on -- plus the majority of sheivet/non-sheivet of Levi? In fact,
Shim'on never managed to fully settle the Negev, and was living in an
area within nachalas Yehudah. But even their own nachalah was the
furthest end from Malkhus Yisrael. Nu, so maybe they didn't qualify
being counted as a separate sheivet by the end of bayis rishon, but they
weren't scattered with the northern or eastern shevatim either.

(I'm sure we discussed this before, but I couldn't find the
conversation.)

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507