[Avodah] medical consensus

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:29:16 PDT 2008

Eli Turkel wrote:
> In a slightly different vein I heard in the name of Rav Elyashiv
> (from his s-i-l) that one needs to accept the opinion of modern medicine but
> not of individual doctors
> i.e. one distinguishes between universally accepted truths and individual
> opinions and theories.

I wonder what the context was.  I assume "accept" here can't mean
"accept as true."  Obviously the state of the art in medicine can be
wrong in a way that the consensus of Chazal can't be.  >>

I have to look up my notes. However, I assume he meant that we
would save a 8 month fetus on shabbat despite the gemara because
medical consensus today is that 8 month fetuses can live (even better
than 7 month fetuses).
However, had this been the opinion of some individual researchers
we would not over-ride the gemara
(how one answers the gemara is another question which is not
the present topic)

--
Eli Turkel