[Avodah] The halakhos of ecology

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 5 12:27:30 PDT 2008

>From Areivim (the authors can take credit if they choose, but I'm too
lazy to ask):
:>BTW, What is the Torah's take on protecting endangered species? Do we care
:>about this at all?

: I can't think of anything in any Torah source that even suggests we should
: care about the extinction of species with no known use.  Useful species,
: of course, are subject to bal tashchit, but they're rarely in danger,
: because people cultivate them or take other measures to preserve them.

"No known use"? Or "no use" -- which would be the contrapositive of your
next sentence.

Bal tashchis gives priority to sacing fruit trees over non-fruit bearing
ones. But can we say that any part of the beri'ah is really unnecessary?
Didn't David haMelekh ask this about spiders, only to be proven wrong?

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507