[Avodah] division of parshas hashavua

Litke, Gary glitke at willkie.com
Mon Aug 4 10:55:20 PDT 2008

What is the source for our standard division of chumash into the
specific weekly portions?
Abarbanel says in intro to Sefer Shmos that this comes from Moshe
Rabbeynu mipi HaGvura. [He also says that Sefer Shmos has 12 portions;
presumably he followed minhag Barcelona and divided Mishpatim into two,
with the second beginning at 'Im Kesef Talveh'.]

I have heard from others that it was devised by Ezra/Anshei Knesses
Hagdola, including the precise breaks for each of the seven aliyas.

Does anyone have further source material for this question?
When the trienniel cycle was used did they divide our weekly portions
into three or did they have a different convention?

Thanks, Gedalia

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This email message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain.  Email messages to clients of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP presumptively contain information that is confidential and legally privileged; email messages to non-clients are normally confidential and may also be legally privileged.  Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it.  If you have received this message in error, please forward it back.  Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP is a limited liability partnership organized in the United States under the laws of the State of Delaware, which laws limit the personal liability of partners.