[Avodah] nes niglah

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Jul 28 05:22:01 PDT 2008

R' Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
> Well, there are some on-list who would say that these are
> all allegories (or, if they don't say it, I fail to
> understand why these are not allegories while other
> instances must be).

We often hear varied stories about this tzadik, or that gadol, and frankly, they are sometimes difficult to believe. I have often heard this as a common reaction to such incredulity: "If you think all these stores are true, then you're a fool. But if you think they're all false, you're an apikores. The message of these stories is that they *could* be true."

I think a similar thing could be said about miracles and allegories. Sure, SOME of the midrashim may have been intended as allegories. But to say that ALL of these miracles were mere allegories, that NONE of them actually happened as described, is to insist that Hashem could not have done such things even if He wanted to. And if He is not capable of such miracles, then what IS He capable of?

Akiva Miller