[Avodah] re to returning forbidden lost object

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 18:29:38 PDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:30:23 -0700 someone asked me off-list for a
synopsis of the source that I cited:

> Just today, I noticed that Resp. Shraga Ha'Meir (2:4) cites a
> discussion of this exact question by "Ha'Gaon Ha'Zaddik Ha'Mebubal
> MHR"A Shimon Ha'Levi Horowitz HY"D, who was a R"M in Yeshivas Hachmei
> Lublin, and afterward in Cracow YZ"V", in a manuscript letter.

R. Horowitz, in the course of his consideration of the question of the
existence of an obligation to return a razor to one who uses it to
shave "pe'as zikno", writes:

"And consider, if we were in control, would it not be permitted and a
Mizvah to seize the razor from his possession and even to destroy it,
if there is no other way to save him from the sin, and it is certainly
prohibited to return it ..."

Note that this is apparently only a fragment of his discussion of the
question.

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - bdl.freehostia.com
An advanced discussion of Hoshen Mishpat