[Avodah] nes niglah

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Jul 27 04:32:15 PDT 2008

I wrote:
> I always thought that G-d's violation of "basic physics
> laws" was the very *definition* of a nes nigleh.

R' Eli Turkel asked:
> why?
> G-d brought the wind to split Yam Suf.
> I don't see anything in the 10 plagues that is inherently
> against the laws of physics/biology

If one looks only at the Torah Sheb'ksav, then I must admit that it is difficult to find examples which would satisfy RET. But if we include the fuller descriptions of what happened, it becomes quite easy.

I suppose a strong enough wind could make a path in the sea, and even might dry the seabed enough to call it "yabasha", but how would it support tunnels overhead? Or to congeal the wall such that one could poke it to make a fountain?

Blood and water from the same pitcher?

Darkness which paralyzes the population? Darkness which paralyzes *part* of the population, leaving the others in normal light?

Akiva Miller