[Avodah] how to learn Torah

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 13:54:14 PDT 2008

>From RYBS published in lights 1976

"What does kabalas ol malchus shamayim require of the lomeid
hatorah,person who studies Torah? First, we must pursue the truth,
nothing else but the truth; however, the truth in talmud torah can
only be achieved through singular halachic Torah thinking, and Torah
understanding. The truth is attained from within, in accord with the
methodology given to Moses and passed on from generation to
generation. The truth can be discovered only by joining the ranks of
the chachmei hamesorah [11]. Itis ridiculous to say "I have discovered
something of which the Rashba didn't know, the Ktzos didn't know, the
Vilna Gaon had no knowledge, Ihave discovered an approach to the
interpretation of Torah which iscompletely new." One must join the
ranks of the chachmei hamesorah --chazal, rishonim, gedolei achronim
-- and must not try to rationalize from without the chukei hatorah
[12] and must not judge the chukei mishpatim[13] in terms of the
secular system of things. Such an attempt, be it historicism, be it
psychologism, be it utilitarianism, undermines the very foundations of
torah umesorah, and it leads eventually to the most tragic
consequences of assimilationism and nihilism, no matter how good the
original intentions."

While I don't like to disagree with my rebbe I find this hard to
accept. One nice example is the explanation of Prof. Aumann (recent
nobel prize winner)
on the gemara in Ketuvot originally based on game theory (though
simplified). The explanations of most rishonim is very forced while
his seems
very natural. There are other cases where rishonim explain a gemara
based on incorrect biology or physics while the gemara itself
presents no difficulties. I wouldn't use the phrase that "I know
something that the Rashba didnt know" but modern knowledge can
sometimes explain
phrases that were unclear to rishonim or subject to machlokes. One
example is the phrase "stimas hagolel" which has several explanations
in rishonim. Anyone who has been to the caves in sanhedria can see
that it refers to rolling a stone to close the entry to the burial
cave.
other examples include explanations of gemarot that contradict the
geography of Israel which wasn't always known to rishonim in Europe.

--
Eli Turkel