[Avodah] kohen in war / pinchas & kehuna

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 22 13:43:38 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 02:12:34PM -0700, Eli Turkel wrote:
: On another matter I was asked this shabbat why Pinchas was not
: included in the original establishment of the kohanim just as his
: grandfather, father and uncles were

If he was not originally included (see RDR's recent post, or my survey of
"berisi shalom" from last week)...

When was Pinechas born? Was he 20 yet at the time of the meshichah?
Perhaps he was simply too young.

It's hard to figure out from his age, because Pinechas (even without
mixing Eliyahu in) was still alive 300 years later serving as Kohein
Gadol in Mishkan Shilo during the story of the Pilegesh beGiv'ah. Given
the supernatural lifespan, there is no way to say he couldn't possibly
be 20 because otherwise...

Micha Berger             The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
micha at aishdas.org        isn't complete with being careful in the laws
http://www.aishdas.org   of Passover. One must also be very careful in
Fax: (270) 514-1507      the laws of business.    - Rabbi Israel Salanter