[Avodah] Tefillin on Ch"M

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 22 09:21:13 PDT 2008

RZLampel did me the favor of sending me a copy of his son's notes for his
bar
mitzvah derashah. The topic:
> How did it become a question whether to wear tefillin on Chol HaMoed?
Didn't
> each generation see whether the previous one davenned with tefillin on
Chol
> HaMoed or not? Did Moshe Rabbeynu and Yehoshua daven with tefillin on
Chol
> HaMoed or not?

> You may want to say that there were long periods of time when nobody wore
> tefillin. ...
> For instance, you may think that this could have happened in the times of
> Menashe or Achav...
> But this is not such a good answer, because it doesn't say that these
kings
> stopped people from doing mitzvos. As a matter of fact, the Gemora...
> So instead, you may bring up the Syrian Greeks...

> My father has suggested a different approach. Namely, we see from
mishnayos,
> gemoros and poskim that from the very beginning, talmidei chachamim on
any
> given day, and at any given time of day, al pi din wore. and did not
wear,
> tefillin. What each one did was obvious, but there were different
halachic
> reasons each one had for his behavior...

> There is more....

See <http://www.aishdas.org/articles/tefillinChM.pdf> for the rest,
including
the topic of "os" on ch"m, tefillin beShabbos, etc...

At the mesibah, which I happily attended, I teased RZL about it going into
the
next edition of The Dynamics of Dispute.

Micha Berger             Man is equipped with such far-reaching vision,
micha at aishdas.org        yet the smallest coin can obstruct his view.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507