[Avodah] money and halakhah

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 05:17:16 PDT 2008

This issue of paper (fiat) money comes up in Hilchos Ribis. The gemara
in Eizehu Neshech has an issur of lending and returning commodities.
The poskim discuss whether banknotes or considered money or
commodities. All of the modern day seforim on Ribis ( the most famous
probably being the Bris Yehuda) quote the teshuvos Chasam Sofer that
paper money is considered money and therefore there is no problem of
sa'ah bsa'ah. In fact, they say that even those poskim who disagreed
in the 19th century, would agree today because there is no "real"
money today at all. The Chazon Ish in Hilchos Ribis agress with this
as does the Aruch Hashulchan (I just saw it a week ago and now can't
find it, if anyone can give me the exact reference in the Aruch
Hashulchan I would greatly appreciate it).