[Avodah] Likut Atzomos

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 16:13:34 PDT 2008

From: David Riceman _driceman at att.net_ (mailto:driceman at att.net)

>>Akiva Blum wrote:
> ....The Tiferes Yisroel in pesachim  says that people would bury their dead
in a temporary grave, and after >the  meat had rotted, the bones would be
reinterned in their ancestral cemetery. Can  anyone point to a >source, and
perhaps also an explanation for this  practice?

>>See Martin Goodman, "Rome and Jerusalem", p. 248.  It's well  documented
archaeologically and in literature.  Goodman says "there is  no certain
explanation." <<

David  Riceman

I thought they did not "bury their dead in a grave" but kept the bones in
some kind of container until the flesh decayed, after which they buried the
bones.  The pile of bones would take up much less space than a whole body,  and
in a city where space for burial was scarce (old Y-m, 2000 years ago) and it
was also hard to dig a grave in rocky ground, there would be a big  advantage
to having graves as small as possible.  They also used to bury  the bones of
several people in the same small plot.  I may be wrong about  all this, it's
just dim memories and impressions.

--Toby Katz

President Reagan talked with the Soviets while pushing ahead  with the
deployment of Cruise and Pershing missiles in Europe. He spoke softly —  after
getting himself a bigger stick.  --Mark Steyn