[Avodah] money and halakhah

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 13:30:49 PDT 2008

That's not the question.  Especially with regard to kiddushin, since
shveh kesef *is* good for kiddushin, and indeed that is what we use!
A ring is shveh kesef, not actual kesef.  You could be mekadesh just
as easily with a can of baked beans.  But perhaps not with fiat money.

> Is a shtar chov the same as money because it has value?

For muktzeh, yes.  For kiddushin, no.  But fiat money is *not* a
shtar chov.>>

The questions come more in other areas.
1. For maasaer sheni the minhag is to redeem on coins and not paper money
I believe that the organizations that provide maaser sheni for individuals
use gold coins and not local shekel coins

2. For mechirat chametz (and heter mechira) I doubt paper money would
be valid even though kesef is a kinyan for a goy

3. Does paying in paper bills and backing out result in a mi-shepara curse?

As Zev has noted paper money would not be good for kiddushin as
it is not shavah kesef but is only a shtar chov

4. For making a kinyan transferring a shtar chov requires maamad shloshtom

--
Eli Turkel