[Avodah] T'uM

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Jul 9 08:06:35 PDT 2008

R' Richard Wolpoe asked:
> So how did Golden Acres get around the issue of
> Muktzeh with scrip?

Perhaps they relied on Shmiras Shabbos K'hilchasa 29:25. See note 64 there, which quotes Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach that "these coupons are merely a siman that the item was bought and paid for prior to Shabbos."

It sounds to me like one does not use the scrip as money, to make a new kinyan, exchanging the scrip for the food. Rather, the scrip is merely evidence that the kinyan (in a breira way, I suppose, not knowing exactly which package one would take on Shabbos) was already done before Shabbos.

Following the distinction I pointed out in previous posts, it seems to me that this logic would solve the problem of the scrip being money and Muktzeh Machmas Gufo. But I do not see how it would solve the Muktzeh Machmas Chisaron Kis aspect, since one would be very careful with such scrip, just with other receipts - or even more so.

Akiva Miller