[Avodah] Cohen Gadol, Pubescent Girl & Rav Kook

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 7 07:02:12 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 09:31:27AM +0300, Yaacov Shulman wrote:
: I'm not arguing, by the way, that darkei noam always has the last word. I am
: wondering why, here, it doesn't seem to have any word.

Because there is no other way to accomodate the chiyuv deOraisa as
understood. You presume that there are other viable pesaqim to the
kohein having a wife with whom he consummated the relationship who was
young enough to have all of her besulim. I would flip your question
around, and use it as a proof that there is not.

Jumping back a bit so that I could put this next quote next to its
supporting statement:
: Basically, he states that many morally-problematical teachings that appear
: in the Torah are "stumblingblocks," and that it is our role to interpret
: them, even against the simple meaning that they present.

: The Liberated Light
: This love must withstand very difficult challenges.  It must overcome many
: contradictions, which are scattered like boulders upon which you may
: stumble.  These are found in isolated Torah statements, in the superficial
: aspect of some Torah laws, and in a multitude of points of view that stem
: from the constriction within the revealed aspect of the Torah and the
: national ethical sense.
: Orot Hakodesh III, p. 318

The translator renders it "superficial aspects" that might seem to
contradict. This is quite different in substance to your claim that "it
is our role to interpret them, even against the simple meaning that they
present." Getting beyond the superficial doesn't necessitate new
interpretation. It includes much further study of the old.

To close with RAYK's words of caution (emphasis mine):
: All this requires the effort of a great spirit: HOW TO MAINTAIN THESE
: CONDUITS WHERE THEY STAND, and yet draw the waters of kindness in their
: original purity and breadth.

Micha Berger             I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
micha at aishdas.org        I awoke and found that life was duty.
http://www.aishdas.org   I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabindranath Tagore